A Kenyan security guard who reportedly fell while on duty at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium has died in hospital, his family and officials confirmed to CNN.
His employer informed the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that 24-year-old John Njue Kibue had fallen from the stadium’s eighth floor while on duty, his sister Ann Wanjiru said.
“We don’t have the money to get justice for him, but we want to know what happened,” she told CNN.
A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows that he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Hamad General Hospital in Doha. The document said Njue had “severe head trauma, facial fractures and pelvic fractures.”
In a statement, the organizers of the World Cup – the Supreme Committee for Surrender and Legacy – announced Kibue’s death.
“We regret to announce that despite the best efforts of his medical team, he sadly passed away in hospital on Tuesday, December 13, after being in the intensive care unit for three days,” the statement added.
“His closest relatives have been informed. We send our sincere condolences to his family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time.”
Earlier this week, the committee announced that Kibue suffered a serious fall while on duty.
“The organizers of the Qatar tournament are investigating the circumstances leading up to the crash as a matter of urgency and will provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation,” his statement read.
“We will also ensure that his family receives all dues and monies owed.”
He had been unconscious since Saturday and was hooked up to a machine to help him breathe, his medical records showed. A family member was informed of his death on Monday morning.
But the security guard’s family say his Qatari employer, Al Sraiya Security Services, has not explained how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.
“We want justice. We want to know what caused her death. They never sent us a photo to show where he fell from or gave us any other information,” her sister Wanjiru told CNN.
CNN reached out to Al Sraiya security services for comment following the guard’s death and has yet to hear back.
In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it was aware of the matter and was “undertaking the necessary consular assistance pending official communications from the Qatar Supreme Committee and relevant authorities”.
The guard’s family say he moved to Qatar last November for a contract with Al Sraiya security services.
A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to his colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking for contributions.
“He came here to keep his family at home but unfortunately his dreams ended today,” it reads in part. “Let’s do something for our beloved comrade.”
He is the second migrant worker reported dead since the start of the tournament in the Gulf nation, after another was reportedly killed in an accident at a resort used by Saudi Arabia during the group stage.